COURSE CREDITS & HOURS21 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™
21 ACPE Credits
21.0 Contact Hours
COURSE FEES$1095 for Physicians, Attorneys, Psychologists, Pharmacists, & Dentists
$850 for Physician Assistants & Nurse Practitioners
$695 for Nurses, Students & Others
The practice of medicine is changing constantly at a very fast pace. Staying up to date with current knowledge of diagnosis, treatment and management requires diligence in maintaining a topical approach to common situations. This series of lectures is tailored to educate and update learners with the best medical evidence available, improve patient safety and optimize outcomes, and present an appropriate approach to cost effective care.
Self-awareness and team attention to integration of many options for patients is the hallmark of continuity in the specialty of Family Medicine. In this age of increasing attention to outcomes, it behooves all of us to use our knowledge to work closely with colleagues and staff, using professionalism in communication, for the best team approach. Placing patient needs above self-interests is paramount to the best care while enjoying a life outside of medicine.
Topics and Objectives
- Travel considerations
- The clinician will determine and recommend appropriate preparations for travel.
- Assess appropriately the medical risk to the traveler
- List commonly needed Immunizations for travelers
- Implement helpful travel preventative treatments
- Utilize travel medicine related website resources
- Exercise in Pregnancy
- The clinician will propose appropriate exercise for the pregnant patient.
- Coding Marine Hazards
- The clinician will be able to conclude the proper code based on knowledge of injury.
- Pap smear and USPSTF selected topics
- The clinician will translate evidence based recommendations into a patient management plan.
- Thyroid management
- The clinician will be able to confidently diagnose and devise treatment and follow-up for abnormal thyroid tests.
- Sports Head and Heart Issues
- The clinician will be able to recognize the common athletic head and heart issues.
- Abdominal Considerations
- The clinician will be able to recognize the likely diagnosis and apply that knowledge to management plans.
- Optimizing Results through Teamwork
- Apply the characteristics of successful teams and tools to build teamwork and improve outcomes
- Describe how teamwork can improve chronic disease metrics
- List and explain stages of team formation
- Preparing Your Patients for a Successful Transition to their Golden Years
- Improve the wellness of the elder patients seen
- Address preventive measures for elder patients
- Provide appropriate medication management for the elderly
- Improve communication strategies in discussing advance directives with patients
- Medical Error Reduction: Optimizing Outcomes and Patient Safety
- Discuss types of medical errors that can result in increased morbidity and mortality
- Minimize potential cognitive error risks to result in improved outcomes and patient safety
- Explain how diagnosis momentum can result in medical errors
- Optimizing Patient Safety- Appropriate Opioid Prescribing
- Appropriately evaluate a patient for Chronic Pain
- Utilize general guidelines for prescribing Controlled Substances / Opioids, including the new CDC guidelines
- Implement the use of multiple modalities in managing chronic pain
- Explain the added risks when prescribing opioids in excess of 100 mg/day Morphine Milligram Equivalent (MME)
- Implement strategies to improve patient safety and compliance with guidelines in prescribing opioids and other Controlled Substances
Conference Sessions generally take place on days at sea (as itinerary allows), giving you plenty of time to enjoy your meals, evenings and ports of call with your companion, family and friends.